7.12.2013

Dig Into Reading 2013 / An Indiana Jones Book Party

This was a really fun program to plan as part of the summer reading program at my library!  I had seen a pin on Pinterest about an Indiana Jones birthday party and thought the idea would fit great with the "Dig into Reading" theme this year.  I had to be a bit more creative than I expected though, because most of the ideas I found used whips, fake "blow guns", and darts which is fine if you trust your kids in your own home, but in the library I thought it would be asking for disaster, haha.  So all of the activities I came up with are safe, with no blow guns in sight!





















First, I made up a couple of games - a matching (or Memory) game based on Indiana Jones LEGO characters & a map matching game.  You can download a printable version of Indy LEGO game here to share with Indy fans of your own.



The map matching game I made up using a map outline image (blown up using Block Posters) for the base map and then outlined and marked copies of the continents with the countries and cities that Indy visited in the movies.  The goal of the game was for the kids to match up the continents on the right spots on the map and then see if they can name the continents, countries, and cities marked on each piece (the answers were on the back).


For a craft, kids made Indy-style messenger bags out of construction paper and yarn to wear while on their "treasure hunt".
































The main activity of the afternoon was a treasure hunt made up of clues that led kids around the Children's Room.  Each clue directed kids to a different area of our nonfiction section using the Dewey Decimal system as a guide.  (ie. Find the spot where the shark books live) At the end of the hunt was a mini treasure chest with fake gold coins which kids could turn in for a prize.  They were able to finish pretty fast (I made up little Dewey guides for them to use), but they seemed to enjoy it!




This was a very well-attended event and everyone had a good time - I hope it gives you some ideas if you ever want to have your own Indiana Jones adventure party!

No comments:

Post a Comment