9.23.2014

Read & Make: Butterflies

My fall family story times are in full swing and this week was all about butterflies and caterpillars!


























Read:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (of course!) - this was the perfect time to share the pop-up version from my library's staff collection!
Ten Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin, Jr.
Waiting for Wings by Lois Ehlert
Butterfly, Butterfly by Petr Horacek

Rhyme:
My Friendly Caterpillar
My friendly caterpillar (fingers crawl up your arm)
made its cocoon one day (close hands together)
it turned into a butterfly (open hands with thumbs hooked)
and quickly flew away (flap hands)

Make:
Handprint butterflies
Set out paper and crayons and let kids trace their hands for the butterfly's wings and decorate to their heart's content.  We have all these white dot stickers left over from the round CD security rings that the library uses, so I put them out for kids to use as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment