6.16.2014

Read & Play: Water

Summer reading is officially here!  Today was my first summer family story time focusing on water as part of the Fizz, Boom, Read! summer theme.  I admit, science is not my area of expertise (hence the choice of library school!) and I was a bit unsure about story times with science-related themes, but this week went really well.
My co-worker and I decided to use this weather station from Mr. Printables as a conversation-starter every week along with a new-to-us weather song with ASL signs to start off story time along with our opening song.  It seemed to work really well today- I had fun with the kids telling me what they saw and felt outside on their way to the library for story time.



Read: 
We Need Water by Charles Ghigna
Water in the Park by Emily Jenkins - love this book, but I did have to shorten/paraphrase a lot of the story for my age range of kiddos this morning
A Cool Drink of Water by Barbara Kerley
In My Pond by Sara Gillingham

Sing: 
Can't Wait to Celebrate by Jim Gill

What's the Weather? (to the tune of My Darling Clementine) with ASL signs for weather words:
What's the weather, what's the weather, what's the weather, everyone?  
Is it windy, is it cloudy, is there rain or is there sun?

The Goldfish by Laurie Berkner
Jump & Jam by Greg & Steve

Play: 
Sink or float activity - I put out two tubs of water and a small collection of items (pencil, paper clip, button, etc.) for kids to drop into the water to find out if they float or sink.  I printed off several copies of this page from The Measured Mom for older kids to use which let them predict whether or not something would float or sink.

No comments:

Post a Comment